Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Increments

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling frustrated that the scale wasn't showing much change: a couple of weeks of just losing .4 and .2 and such. There was a lot going on for me at that time (the root canal, and my partner also had a medical emergency) so it made sense that it wasn't the most glowingly successful time (it is hard to eat OP when you're sitting in a hospital waiting room, or driving around from doctor to doctor!). When things get like that, it's easy to hide from the scale for fear of disappointing news. I decided to try the opposite strategy: I decided it was time to weigh myself every day. Now I know that doesn't work for everyone--I know it freaks some people out, or can trigger eating disorder issues if you have them, so caveat emptor! You also have to be philosophical about the daily fluctuations. But what it has somehow allowed me to do is just that: get an objective, geekier bird's eye view, and take the punch out of the weekly "yay" or "boo" of WID.

Since I have one of those schmancy Weight Watcher's scales, which I highly recommend, I am able to keep track of other things too, like body fat and BMI, all electronically calculated for me. I haven't been gathering those figures every day, but usually several times a week. And somehow watching the numbers jostle up and down, but ultimately, zipper-like, in a definite downward trend, has been incredibly encouraging. I won't make it to a meeting for an official weigh in until tomorrow, but here's what its been looking like first thing in the AM, before eating, drinking, or getting dressed:

July 11:  142.3;  30.7% body fat;   BMI 26.2
July 12:  141.2;  30.6% body fat;   BMI 25.9
July 18:  140.9;  30.4% body fat;   BMI 25.9
July 22:  139.9;  30.2% body fat;   BMI 25.7
July 23:  138.8;  29.9% body fat;   BMI 25.5
July 24:  138.0;  29.8% body fat;   BMI 25.4
July 26:  139.3;  29.9% body fat;   BMI 25.5
Jul1 27:  138.2;  30.0% body fat;   BMI 25.4

I am very pleased with the trend I'm seeing here! And however many glasses of water I've had, or whatever other random factors influence my weigh-in tomorrow, I can obviously see the progress here. Home scale wise, in 16 days I've lost 4.1 pounds: just ideal!

No comments:

Post a Comment