Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Goals looking ahead

Tomorrow will be my first weigh-in after moving from a WW meetings membership to an online only membership. I'm certainly not regretting the decision to cancel the meetings portion. I'm feeling like staying on plan is about the decisions I make hour after hour every day, and the one hour meeting is such a tiny part of that. But it does mean I won't have anyone in real life to keep an eye on me and cheer me on (beyond my partner and the few friends that I've mentioned this journey to). So I wanted to look ahead and inspire myself by thinking about my upcoming goals!

So far I've lost 14.4 pounds since I joined WW. I might have shaved off one or two on my own before then, but we're not counting the unknown. This means I am super close to my next very major goal. When I hit 139.1, either tomorrow or the following week or whenever it is, then I will have lost 15 pounds--a total of 10% of my body weight, since joining WW at 154.6 pounds on May 11th. This will be a thrilling success for me, because I know that losing that 10% is something of a magic number in terms of disease risk reduction (those who are new readers: my mother's diagnosis with diabetes was a major motivator in my starting this process). It also means I will be at least halfway towards my ultimate goal! At 139.1, I start making my way into more of my size 6 clothes. And people have begun to really notice.

The next major goal, only 5 pounds more after that, is 134. This is an important number because it was actually my original goal when I joined WW. At 5'2", the upper number listed as "healthy" on the BMI chart is 137, and I knew I wanted to be a few pounds below that. But as I've lost weight and found myself succeeding at this process, I knew that I no longer wanted my goal to only be 134. That's for large-boned women, really, and I'm pretty sure I'm medium boned. But nonetheless, it will put me officially in the healthy range, with a BMI of 24.5. It will put me out of a size 8 except for a few slacks and into a size 6 just about completely. And it will put me at the 28th percentile for my age and height! I haven't weighed this since about 2005 or 2006. It's a genuine goal, a weight at which I look healthy and good.

After that, I have my heart set on 128. This is currently my official goal weight. When I hit 128, I will almost certainly be a size 4 in tops and skirts (I work out hard, and I'm pretty compact!) and a size 6 in pants. I may, just may, sneak down from a D cup to a C cup (this is GOOD NEWS!! I started as a overflowing 34DD, and I'm already down to a light 32D--a much happier size for me). My BMI will be 23.4, and I will be in the 21st percentile for my age and height! But above all I know I will feel so much lighter. Activities I adore will be so much easier (they already are). Joints will feel better, back will feel better, I will look and feel better. This is a weight I haven't been probably since 1997 or 1998. But I now believe it is achievable!

My new maybe just maybe dream weight is 125. I'm not setting it as a goal weight (yet), because I believe that at 128 I will look great and be healthy, and I can reassess then if more is desirable. But if I could maintain 125 without agony, then that would mean a total of 30 pounds lost, a weight I have not been in 15 years, a BMI of 22.9 (18th percentile), and a damn hot derriere. Also: SO much less likely to get diabetes, cancer, etc.! Also, yoga will be so wonderful, without parts of my body actually getting in the way! Also, true C cup, true size 4, truly awesome!

One step at a time. But these huge goals are not actually huge numbers away for me. They are all achievable a few pounds at a time. And I will achieve them!

No comments:

Post a Comment